Nursery Rhymes series: We have decided to do a series of activity and crafts articles to help you and your toddler make the most of the Nursery Rhymes we all know and love. Here we are looking at Humpty Dumpty.
Humpty Dumpty is a character in a nursery rhyme. He is typically portrayed as an egg. Most English-speaking children are familiar with the rhyme which is usually sung rather than said.
The most common text is:
In this post I discuss the following topics:
These eggs are super simple to make. This is a great activity to provide a wide range of tactile experiences as there are many different materials used.
What You'll Need:
What to Do:
1. Cut your kitchen sponge into the shape of an egg. It's much easier to do this when it is dry.
2. Wet the sponge and wring out the excess water. Pour the coloured paint of your choice into a paper plate.
3. Dip the sponge into the paint, making sure that the entire egg shape has paint on it, then stamp it three times across the paper. Let dry… it should only take about 15 minutes or so.
4. Decorate each of the eggs.
* Use a large sheet of paper and do a repeating pattern with the sponge egg shape…decorate the egg shapes with painted dots-using fingers dipped into paint-this will make great wrapping paper!
Online Picture Book > Non-Fiction > An Egg is Quiet [Ages 4+]
Visit this wonderful online picture book, author, Dianna Aston, illustrations by Sylvia Long
Online game > visit Down on the Farm
I am a preschool and primary school teacher and mum to 3 children. I have been involved in education since 1997 and have trained in a variety of educational specialist areas. It is with this expertise that I write articles to help parents and educators provide quality learning experiences for the children in their care.