Children are rarely shy of the camera, and they are a lot of fun to photograph. Start thinking like a child before you begin. Let simple things inspire you, and be awed by everything. Below are tips to help you take amazing photographs of children.
1. Get on their level and bend down or lie on the ground. Sometimes when you photograph children from above you imply control and dominance over them. When you photograph them from below, you empower them and elevate them.
2. Photograph children with their family and friends. It’s great to see children interacting with their parents, siblings, and other children. You may want to start out photographing kids with their parents so that they get comfortable with you and the camera.
3. Remember to be patient. Don’t get too frustrated, photographing children is not easy. Kids will need breaks and refreshments. If you rush the sessions you may not be getting the photographs you want, so slow down and even photograph them when you don’t think they are doing anything at all.
4. Their expressions are priceless, and their eyes are intriguing. Pay close attention to how they react to the world around them. Have them make happy faces or have them make funny faces. Get them lean in and look right into the camera.
5. Take children to a new location such as a new park or playground. Watch them explore and document how they react to the new environment. Outdoor lighting is the best light, and you will get soft light before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
6. Relax. Children can sense fear, and if you are nervous they will be uncomfortable. If you are having fun, so will they. Bring props such as toys or games, and food is also not a bad idea.
Children may need some direction, but they will usually have more fun when they can be themselves. The best part about photographing children is that you never know what they will do, so always be prepared to capture unexpected moments. Posed pictures are not bad, but candid ones usually produce the best results.
About the Author:
SFXsource publishes articles on a variety of interesting subjects, hosts a sound effects library here, Sound Effects and offers huge numbers of royalty free production music which can be heard here, Royalty Free Music
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.