Pumpkin Bats are easy to make. Follow the instructions below for a fun and simple activity. These super cute and scary bats are perfect for a rainy autumn day. Easily made from small pumpkins and craft foam, they will look great on your Halloween display.
What you need:
- Black acrylic paint
- Ornamental (miniature) pumpkins (even small pattipan pumpkins will do).
- Black and white craft foam
- Hole punch
- Glue dots
- Black duct tape
- Wooden skewers
What to do:
- Cover your work surface with a wipe able tablecloth or newspaper, then paint the pumpkins black.
- Allow them to dry completely. (you might like to do this the day before so there is no waiting around)
- For each bat, cut two identical eyes from the white craft foam and use the hole punch to make pupils.
- Stick the eyes to the pumpkin with glue dots.
- Cut matching pairs of ears and wings from the black craft foam.
- Attach the ears by taping a toothpick to the back of each one, leaving about a centimetre of the toothpick exposed, then inserting it into the top of the pumpkin.
- Finally, tape a skewer to the back of each wing, leaving a 2 centimetre point exposed, and push it in place.
I am a preschool and primary school teacher and mum to 3 children. I have been involved in education since 1997 and have trained in a variety of educational specialist areas. It is with this expertise that I write articles to help parents and educators provide quality learning experiences for the children in their care.